Skip to content ↓
Notre Dame High School

Notre Dame
High School


Feeling like something's not right?
Are you feeling worried about

  • Something that has happened to you or someone else
  • Not knowing who to turn to
  • Coping with your mental health

Whatever's happening, you don't have to cope alone.


You have not allowed cookies and this content may contain cookies.

If you would like to view this content please



How can talking to an adult help? 

Talking about your problems to someone you trust means they can help you see things differently. They can give you new ideas about how to cope, or help you change things in your life that worry you. Once you tell someone, they can be there for you in the future too.

Putting things into words helps. Sometimes it's just good to say what's on your mind. Talking to someone could make you feel like you don't have to deal with it on your own and make things feel more manageable.

Ways to feel confident

Plan what you want to say and try to think of some examples of what’s happened. You don’t have to tell them everything straight away – share what you’re comfortable with and see what they say.

Practise what you want to say out loud in front of the mirror, or you could practise with a friend

Find the right time to talk
Try to find a time when the person you want to talk to isn’t too busy or about to rush off. You can also ask them to arrange a quiet time for you to talk, so you’ll have their full attention.

Try these conversation starters:

  • "I want to tell you something but I don't know how."
  • "This is hard for me to say, but I have something important to tell you.”
  • “I need some advice on something I’m stressed about."

What will happen if I tell someone? 

People like teachers, doctors, nurses, social workers and police officers will always listen and take you seriously. They have a duty to help you and keep you safe. And if you tell them what’s happening, they’ll want to help.

The person you tell might need to let someone else know what’s happening, but you can always ask about this. It’s also okay to tell them what you’d like to happen and keep asking questions about what’s going on.

It can feel hard to talk when it involves someone you love or who cares about you. Especially if they’re supporting you in other ways. Sometimes they might have told you that you won’t be listened to, or that you’ll get into trouble if you talk about it, but this isn’t true.

 At Notre Dame High School Safeguarding and Child Protection are regarded as the single most important aspect of each person's role.

If you have any concern or worry, you can speak to any member of staff as we are a 'listening school'.  They will then pass on your concerns to the Safeguarding Team.

If you feel that a young person is at risk, or is the subject of abuse, you should contact a member of the Safeguarding Team.  To find a member of staff's email address you add our domain name i.e.

Members of staff with a Safeguarding concern should record their concern via CPOMS at

Our Safeguarding Team

To find a member of staff's email address you add our domain name  i.e.

Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) – Learning Support Centre Manager
David Butters
Room 50, LSC St John’s

Alternate DSL (ADSL)
Deputy Head Student Welfare

Shirley Stevenson
St Julie's, Room J16

Designated Safeguarding Officer (DSO)
Pastoral & Attendance Support Manager

Janice Murphy
Pastoral Office

Designated Safeguarding Officer (DSO)
Pastoral & Attendance Support Assistant

Jo Bryant
Pastoral Office

Pastoral Support Worker
Mr Luke Davis
Pastoral Office

Pastoral Support Worker
Miss Maria Stopher
Student Reception
6th Form Pastoral Support Worker
Miss Louise Bye
6th Form Office
6th Form Pastoral Support Worker
Ms Deborah Brickell
6th Form Office

If raising a Safeguarding concern or an allegation of abuse against a person working with Children and Young People (up to the age of 18) please inform the Head of School immediately in person, or their Deputy, if the Head is not present.  Staff can also raise concerns via the Chair of Governors Jo Warr whose contact details can be obtained via John Eady jeady@

To view our Safeguarding Policy click here.

Where to get help outside of school 

There are lots of ways you can ask for support:

Talk to an adult you trust
Talking to an adult you trust is really important. It could be a teacher, someone in your family or anyone else you feel safe with.

Speak to Childline
Get free, confidential support from a Childline counsellor about anything you want to. You can talk to Childline from 7:30am-3:30am every day, either online, by calling 0800 1111 or by sending a message from our website.

Visit your doctor or nurse
You can make an appointment with your doctor any time. And you can usually see them by yourself. Even if you can’t see your doctor in person, you can usually talk over phone. Find out more about visiting your doctor.

Contact the police
If you’re feeling unsafe, you can always talk to the police. In an emergency, you can call 999 to get help straight away. You can also report online sexual abuse or exploitation to CEOP.